Saturday 23 May 2015

How I got rid of my hair monster! (Dandruff)

Yes! I am one of those that have struggled with that dandruff for months! I can't remember when it started or the cause, but I remember going to the salon every two weeks and the salon lady will be like hmmn! this your hair e full o but dandruff full am too *covers face*. Either that or every other day, she would offer me a different type of cream or dandruff removal products. I just smile and politely decline. I always declined not for fear of the products not working (maybe a little bit) but mostly out of exhaustion and frustration. I had tried almost everything! I washed my hair as often as possible(even though this worsens it actually), creamed, Vaseline and oiled it regularly with both dandruff and non-dandruff healing ointments. I took every form of advice- scrub harder, wash your hair everyday, comb every dandruff out (I know right!*rolls eyes*). It was really embarrassing because no matter the hairstyle I did,these white garri- like monsters always showed themselves, making me take out my weave or extensions earlier than normal. It was the worse case of dandruff I had ever experienced. I went online and searched for cures for deep dandruff and I saw people's experience and solution. One thing that popped up on every solution was the name ''Apple cider Vinegar''. It took me back to the days of salads and all, I have no idea why to be honest. I got a bit frustrated with the name, because  to the best of my knowledge, the only vinegar I knew was just vinegar; all the names confused me. I left it for a while and went back to my creaming, washing and oiling. Fast forward weeks later, I went back to the site to look for alternatives, but vinegar seemed to be the easiest at hand, well, that and coconut oil. I decided to go to the mall. The vinegar had one fancy name so my best bet was that the mall would have it. On getting there,  after about 2 minutes, Viola!!!! I found it! I saw the vinegar but started looking for the "apple cider one".  I almost left the mall, but decided to check again;  lo and behold the vinegar I have been seeing since was actually apple cider!  Yeah I know, blonde moment :p. I just never took notice of the apple cider. I always thought vinegar was vinegar o and it wasn't even expensive; cost about #400.



 I got home and followed the instructions- two or more caps mixed with water, well some say you can apply directly, but vinegar is harsh, to be on the safe side,  just mix two caps with half cup or more of water. After washing and conditioning my hair, I poured the mixture as a final rinse and massaged it into my scalp.  I then rinsed everything out with ordinary water so the vinegar doesn't linger for too long. Some people would shampoo, vinegar rinse and then condition , but I prefer the first way; maybe on my next wash I will do the latter. I gently pat my hair with a soft dry towel just to get dripping water out and five seconds later of course I started itching again. I really can't tell if it was my mind set or just the dandruff screaming ''you can't get rid of me so easily, your hair is my home!!!'' I let my hair air dry for about two minutes because it was always during this period the dandruff becomes visible again and starts itching whenever I wash my hair. I picked up my mirror to see if it worked  and Yes! it did, it was unbelievable.  I took my fingers and parted all my hair- Nothing!!!  I even went to my sister and asked her to check but she said my hair/scalp was clean.That is how I got rid of my hair monster! With #400 and a simple off-the-kitchen cabinet liquid, four months later, I haven't had an episode or any itch,  but I need to treat my hair with it again to avoid any episode.
You can leave the vinegar for five minutes after shampooing just to let it do its job, have a shower and rinse off with cold water. Vinegar also makes hair very shiny, silky soft and healthy-looking. Please do not use this method if you have injuries on your scalp,consult your doctor.

Here is why vinegar worked

Dandruff is caused by oily skin, dry skin, use of high alkaline hair products, stress, diet ,sweat from exercise  and oil build up. Another major cause is malasseiza; this is a yeast kind of fungus that feeds on oil form hair follicle therefore causing skin irritation and dead skin cells.The acid content in Vinegar helps reduce the itch, flakiness, and gets rid of dead skin cells. It basically goes down to the root of the hair to take all that build up and mess away. An imbalance in the pH level of one's hair can also lead to dandruff. The scalp and the hair run their world (no not girls), and they love to function in a certain kind  of way: producing hair oil, helping that little hair grow and just maintaining a level of sanity in there. However when there is an imbalance in the pH level of your hair from the above causes, guess what? the workers are not happy. some of them quit some sulk and some form a strike group and maybe after dropping all their white cardboard strike papers it comes out as dandruff. Vinegar helps in balancing the pH level of your hair, more like returning the factory of your hair/scalp routine to normal.

This solution really helped me I just had to share and I hope it helps you too if you struggled like me or just need to keep dandruff at bay. If you are not really check online into the vinegar method check online for other alternatives,I have read coconut oil and aloe vera are good in balancing pH level of the hair too. However this worked for me tremendously so I am sticking with it.I use coconut oil in my hair care routine too so I am guessing it helps.

quick tip off: the smell of vinegar is harsh but don't worry it will go away when your hair is dry.close your eyes while rinsing too,Vinegar should not get into your eyes!


Jeremiah 29:11 : For I know the thoughts I have towards you,thoughts of good and not of evil in order to bring you to an expected end.

xoxo





1 comment: